Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 21:
Hey guys! Hope you are all enjoying your weekend. today the weather wasn't great, so we stayed in Bucheon and did some more exploring. A co-worker of our had told us about market near our place, and so we decided to try and find it. With a roughly drawn map that she had made for us, to say we had trouble finding the place would be a huge understatement! After walking around for an hour to find a market that was supposedly 15 minutes away, we hopped in a cab which drove us to the market in less than 5 minutes (in the total opposite direction we had been walking). The market was ok I guess, if you're looking for live octopus and poorly made clothing...which we weren't...so we walked through the whole market and headed home.
As we were walking, the weather started to get alot nicer and we took a detour through a huge park near our school. Little did we know, the park was also an outdoor gym! There were tons of machines that are free for anyone to use, which we are planning to make use of tomorrow. As it got warmer, we headed home to pick up the camera and take some shots of all the new flowers that are starting to bloom.

As I was shooting away, Brandon found a Korean volleyball game that caught his attention. The net was lower and and they used only their heads and their feet to hit the ball. It was pretty interesting to watch and Brandon hopes to get in on the action once he learns some more Korean :)
After our walk, we headed to Outback Steakhouse because we were told by a friend that we could use the Hyundai department store gift certificates I got from teacher's day there. Although it didn't seem logical, we decided to give it a try. When we got there, we were told that we couldn't use them, probably since they are two totally unrelated places, lol (thanks Patrick!). Regardless, we sat down to have dinner and our waitress came back with some bread and some sort of pink butter. I asked what it was and she replied " rasberry butter" to which I said, "do you have any regular butter?". She looked a little confused and said " umm...mango butter, chocolate" and then I looked at her in confusion and just smiled and nodded. Brandon had been in the bathroom while all of this was happening, and when he came back I told him that I was pretty sure our waitress was bringing us some sort of chocolate butter. He told me I clearly misunderstood her, and I agreed with him- until of course, she walked over, handed me "mango butter, and chocolate sauce". I tried the mango butter, which made me gag, and I then proceeded to dip the bread in the chocolate...which was actualy pretty good. After a little too much bread and chocolate, we had some delicious steaks with coconut onion rings, which were also really yummy! Anyways, that was our day- hope we didn't bore you with too many details. We miss you and love you all.


P.S. Add us on skype if you have it, you can find us under shaynapitch4@hotmail.com.

With love from South Korea,
Shayna & Brandon

3 comments:

  1. Just fully updated myself on the blog and it seems like things there are beyond incredible!
    Free gym = great way to prep for wedding diet!
    hundreds of dollars worth of gifts is not too shabby either.
    The culture and scenery seem amazing and totally up your alley. Your apartment seems cozy and clean and, from what I can see, you get quite a bit of light in there (which is always nice for days that you maybe miss being home).
    When I am at home, skype is on... so just give me a ring and hopefully I'll be able to talk to both of you next time we chat!

    Glad to hear how great things are over there and I cant wait to get more updates!
    Love and Miss you

    PS. Should you find yourselves bored at night.. check out this blog that has been making me cry with laughter www.fuckyoupenguin.blogspot.com
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like another adventourous day. Very funky about the gym in the aprk-wonder how they keep the machines from rusting in wet weather?
    As usual, nice pics!
    Love you,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sat down and like Jana, updated myself. Work has been crazy busy lately. It sounds like you guys are having a great time and are experiencing a lot of cool things.

    The presents you and Brandon got, are amazing! It's funny to hear that the presents you got are stuff we have here too. I would never have guessed that they have all those things over there. This made me think, how much of the food is similar? I know you've mentioned a few things you've eaten, but overall, is it similar enough to here?

    I miss you, so please keeps the updates and photos coming. I don't have skype, but I'll ask Mel how to set it up and what I need. I'll keep you posted.

    Keep having a blast!
    xoxo

    Lans

    ReplyDelete